Thursday 7 November 2013

Is an MA in Library science a poor investment? My thoughts on an online article.

I found an interesting article on a website called Information Space, which was a response to an article in Forbes Magazine "The Best and Worst Masters degrees for Jobs". It's called "Is a Masters degree in Library Science a poor investment?" From what I can see, Library and Information degrees are not actually mentioned in the main body of the Forbes article, but in the picture section. They tie it with Counselling, in terms of Mid-Career median pay and projected employment increase. The article on Information Space makes some very good points to oppose the 'facts' put forward in the Forbes article. I thought I'd share the article, as it might be of interest to people out there, and also throw in my opinion on the matter. The article is only about a year old, so still fairly relevant.

Point number one: Obviously, I disagree with Forbes. I think a Masters degree in Library Science is a great investment...depending on a few things. I've seen a couple of people commenting on the article who think the same: you have to have some experience too. It's worth taking a couple of years working in assistant roles to develop your experience, then getting yourself enrolled onto a masters. A) You're more likely to get onto a masters course and B) you are more likely to get employed afterwards, because you'll have some real working knowledge of how libraries are run. Likewise, if you have years and years of experience, apparently it's often hard to get employed is you don't have the Master Degree. It's the first thing employers look for. Another reason it's a good investment.

Point number two: who said it was all about the money? I'm not necessarily (hopefully) going off to do my masters because it's going to get me a job that pays bucket-loads by the end of it. I'm going to do it because it's what I want to do. I love doing it and I think I'll be very happy doing it. I also want to do the job to the best of my ability - getting the masters will help me do that. Librarian's get payed more than Librarian Assistants, this much I know. But I haven't ever really looked at how much more. So long as I can keep a roof over my head I'm happy. Hopefully I can afford to do this.

Point number three: Yes, a masters degree is Library Science is a poor investment - but in my opinion, only if after you have got the qualification, you sit around and wait for the jobs to come to you. You have to be flexible. When you've got your degree, you start applying for Librarian positions, wherever they may be. Perhaps you'll be lucky and find something local. Most likely you won't. If you aren't willing to go to the jobs when you've got your degree, then it was perhaps a poor investment.

Last point. Rant almost over. I think the Forbes article only took into account 'Jobs in Libraries'. Yes, this is what I want to do, but there is more you can do with a degree in Information Science and Librarianship. This is one of the points made on the Information Space article that I really agree with.

Read and see what you think. Poor investment? Or is it only a poor investment if you think you'll become a millionaire. How much does money matter when you're doing what you love?
For now,

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment