Sunday 1 December 2013

Library Camp UK 2013. The results from the notepad...

So at the beginning of Library Camp I left a notepad in the main theatre. The idea was that Librarians could write in tips for Graduate trainees, along the lines of "Things people I wish people had told me before doing my masters" or "Tips for the Librarians of the future".

I didn't get a massive response, but there were a few who wrote some things down, thank you to whoever they were! Here's what they put, in no particular order. There are a surprising number of exclamation marks. Love it:

1) Open up your content!
2) Learned more from my MscILM than my PGDIPILM - which is already out of date. Do the Dissertation!
3) Get involved! Stay in touch with passionate people. Try not to get bogged down by naysayers. Embrace your profession, be proud of what you are studying.
4) Spend as much time telling people what you're doing as you are doing it! Learn about marketing.
5) Keep an open mind - I've ended up 500 miles away from "home" doing a job I got the lowest mark for that course at library school, but I've learnt SO much and have really grown, good luck!
6) Un-conferences - Library Camp ;)
7) Keep gaining practical experience throughout. Even just through plt or voluntary work.
8) Talk to everyone on the course, find out what they do and share what you've done, you learn the most this way.
9)
- Get on Twitter
- Learn how to use reference management software
- Talk to lots of people in the profession
- Visit libraries
Don't get stuck in the (echo) - (Not sure if I have read this correctly!) chamber...read non-library journals and get ideas from other sectors.


And that's that! If anyone know where I could post this that will be of more use - I'm going to post to the graduate trainees facebook page for a start - please let me know!

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment