Wednesday 26 March 2014

Volunteering: Week 2 and my Easter reading list!

So I’ve done 2/3 days of volunteering this week, the last being tomorrow and I thought it would be good to compare this second week to the first week I did. For a start, I am more organised. I’ve been given a timetable. I’ll be doing individual reading with pupils from year 1 on Tuesday and Thursday, with pupils from year 3 on Wednesday, and spending a little bit of time in the Library on a Tuesday as well. I’m really grateful for the timetable, as it will hopefully get the kids familiar with me, so they feel more comfortable reading with me. The last half an hour of each morning will be spent with the same three year 2 pupils, in a group reading session. However, after my first attempt at this on Tuesday, today I insisted on seeing them individually today. They lacked attention, distracted each other and were generally a nightmare to control, when part of a group. I left wondering whether it was my fault, but after speaking with the teachers – yes they were bad – but it is generally quite a difficult year group on the whole. So on the one hand, I was glad they weren’t simply acting up because I was new, and they were testing me.  On the other hand, it meant I needed to re-think things. I sought advice from JJ’s mum, who used to teach special needs children (not that these children have special needs, but she had some good advice in regards to short-attention spans) and I decided I would see if they behaved differently individually for a start. So this morning I saw them one by one, and what a difference! The teacher had apparently reprimanded them for their behaviour the previous day, after another teacher saw me struggling with them and had let her know. But they concentrated better, were generally more enthusiastic and we got through far more in ten minutes than we’d managed in half an hour as a group. I would definitely like to see them by themselves again in the future, as they seemed to enjoy the individual attention more as well. I even had one boy suggest he bring his books from home to read to me, which I obviously encouraged, after he learnt I’d be seeing him three days a week.

On the whole, today was far more positive than yesterday. After the bad session yesterday I went to work afterwards miserable, convinced I’d wasted their time and my own. But today has rekindled my enthusiasm and reminded me of why I set out to volunteer in the first place. What the children seem to value most is time focussed on just them. They are not part of a class when they’re reading to me, but just themselves. They can chat to me about their book and ask questions without judgement of anyone else and I’m really learning how to interact with different age groups, which hopefully will be really valuable in the long run.

Thankfully I have the Easter break coming up. I will be in work helping to complete the stock check for some of the holidays, but first I’m making the trip up to see my family, and go on a mini-escape to Bruges (somewhere I’ve never been!) for a day with one of my best girly friends. Bliss! There’ll be lots of reading no doubt too. Books I hope to complete before the end of the break include:
  • Rebecca – Daphnie Du Maurier (I’m about a third of the way through this)
  • Macbeth – Shakespeare
  • The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath
  • All the Truth that’s in me – Julie Berry (For the Carnegie Shadowing book club I help run)

Maybe I’ll get round to reading more. But those four have been sat waiting for a while! Expect some reviews too…

Two more days of work! For now,

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment