Wednesday 18 May 2016

'Shelf Help' in the college

Okay, so it's not the most original title for a promotion on self help through reading, but it works!

I work in an FE college. As you may be aware, there's been lots of media coverage and much emphasis placed on the mental health of our young adults in recent years, which is very amazing. It's important, especially around exam time when many students experience extra levels of stress, sometimes on top of existing issues. FE colleges around the UK are working to help their students and where I work is no different. But what can the library do? We can offer books, of course! It would be a longggg post if I were to go through everything we're doing, so I just wanted to share one little aspect.

As part of a larger promotion on mental health, stress and and self help, I have put together some little 'shelf help' packs. These include a book, a DVD, a CD, a quick read (a shorter book, usually no longer than 100 pages) and some leaflets about various mental health issues and how reading can help. These items are all chosen with the aim of cheering people up. They are stories, movies and songs to help the students feel happier, inspired and make them feel less alone. It's tricky, because what makes one person happy might not make another person happy, but I did some research and did my best to put together good selections. The choices included things like 'Freedom Writer's' DVD, 'Slam' by Nick Hornby, 'Life in a Day' DVD, 'The Hundred Foot Journey' by Richard Morais and 'Feel good songs' CD.

A poster I created to promote the packs

So far one pack has been borrowed, which I am pleased with. It might not sound like a great success but I honestly didn't know whether any would be borrowed. I prepared five packs. Library promotions are often trial and error. If no more are borrowed, then I'll try something different next year. I won't bore you with the details of how reading can boost your mood, just thought I'd share my little experiment.

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment