Saturday 1 February 2014

Displays. Lots of pretty pictures! (Plus my own shoddy attempt).

Displays are really important in libraries. They let you know things, what's going on in the library, what books are new, or relevant for the time of year. It's often a crucial aspect of making the children's area a fun and engaging place to be. They're just another way of engaging people once they're in the library, and getting them to use the services. I wanted to do a post dedicated to all the great ideas I've seen online for displays. First off, here's my shoddy attempt at a display for the Junior library (ages 11-14) for valentine's day:

 
The text in the four bars down the centre read:
Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy...
but here's some Romance,
So read me maybe?
 
It's not fantastic...in fact it's wonky. But I tried. I tried to choose books that we had that a) were relevant for valentines day and b) books that were either new to the library or that haven't been borrowed so much - to try and encourage them to try them. I've seen the students pointing and discussing the books on the display so at least its getting them interested! The chunks of text next to the book covers are brief synopses.
 
What follows are some far better and fantastic examples of displays I've found online and may try to adapt for use in our libraries. I've tried to credit the original source where I can. I hope they inspire someone else out there the way they've inspired me!
 
 
There's some other beautiful examples on this blog too!
 

Another great site, with lots more ideas! I really like how simple this is.
 
 

I like this idea, as you could keep the display up for a while and have signs to many fantasy worlds. You could also link it to a map themed display, like the one below:
 
 

travelingcolors.tumblr.com

 
 
This would be a great one for Graphic Novels and comics. Something we sadly lack where I work.
 
www.tatalonline.blogspot.com
I think this one could be made prettier, however I really like the concept. Making famous characters Facebook status's or Tweets might be fun. Visually the display below could work with this idea, for Tweets:
 
triciawilson.tumblr.com
So pretty!
 
 
izzyshare.com
Great for a "books of the movie" style display.
 
bridalguide.com
OhMy. Obvious I could never do anything like this...but it had to be shared.
 
And that's where I'm going to end. Otherwise we'll be here all day. Hopefully my next display will be far more fun and I can post with no shame!
 
Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment