Wednesday 19 February 2014

International Book Giving Day

I could just save you reading a blog post and give you the website, which explains it all. Here you go:

Website: http://bookgivingday.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BookGivingDay
Twitter: https://twitter.com/bookgivingday #giveabook

I wanted to post about this because it's another one of those important things that I think is important and think everyone should know the importance of. Savvy?



International Book Giving Day's aim is to try and increase access to books for children (though of course they, I'm sure, encourage book giving to all ages!). They encourage people to donate books to children, to places where children might be (waiting rooms etc) or to libraries. Libraries will happily accept second hand books, provided they are not too badly worn. I am forever buying books from charity shops that I think the school library might be in need of, or appreciate. They also support the work of other non-profit organisations that work to get books to children all over the world, including good old Book Aid International, a charity that work predominately in Africa and who gave a talk I went to back in October. You can see the blog post I wrote about them and the work they do here. The other charities they work with are listed on their website, and are based all over the world, from New Zealand to India to the U.S and beyond.

I managed to get some posters up around the school, letting people know that February the 14th isn't just dedicated to everything red and snuggly. It can be a day of giving too. Personally I think I prefer the idea of Book Giving Day, than V-day! Even The Guardian did a piece on it. I myself have endeavoured to raid charity shops this half term to see what I can get for the library I work at. I've already found three good books in really good nick. By buying from charity shops you're also supporting the work they do too. It's an all round win-win situation. I also hope to do something in the next few months to raise funds for a reading charity overseas too. I'll update on here with any progress that happens with that! So what are you waiting for? IBGD might technically be over. But there's always a time to give someone a book. Drop some off at the local dentist, shelter, library or hospital and feel the glow of giving!

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment