Sunday 5 June 2016

Birthday books

I had a birthday this month. The day was fairly ordinary, and I was in work to boot. Being a book lover and a library worker however, I did receive a couple of wordy nerdy book gifts. For starters, check out my cake!

"and the mome raths outgrabeeee"

This was made by two of my wonderful friends *hugs*. Alice in Wonderland is one of my favourite books and I love the original Disney film (even thought it isn't much like the book). Also I'm from Cheshire, so what could be more perfect! The cake underneath the icing was sponge with jam and buttercream, oh so yum!

Secondly, I received a copy of 'The Guest Cat' by Takashi Hiraide. I'm really looking forward to this. It's short, at around 130 pages, so a perfect quick summer read. I love cats and I've been wanting to explore more modern Japanese authors after reading a few of Haruki Murikami's books (which I fell in love with).

[This beautiful photo is taken from the blogger: Paperback Castles]

The eyes and title on the cover are a sort of foil green so they shine in the light, and the artwork is lovely. I'll probably do a proper review after I have read it. Now I've finished the lengthy Great Expectations (see last post), I have a couple of Empire magazines to catch up on then I can start this.

On the not-so-short end of the scale, I also receive these beauties:



This is the complete works of Shakespeare and the works of Chaucer. I really enjoyed studying the Pardoner's Tale for A Level English Literature, and I always wanted to read more. They both smell phenomenally of 'old book'. That vanillary sort of smell. I have a little collection of older fabric bound books and these will look great on my bookshelf and when I read them I can pretend I'm an heiress to a great estate with a massive library.

See 'The Guest Cat' available to buy from Waterstones or your local bookshop. I'm very happy with all my bookish birthday gifts <3 

Over and out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment