Tuesday 29 October 2013

Hot off the shelf: What I'm reading - 'The Woman in Black' Hill, Susan.

I apologise for inundating this blog with the 'review' posts. I read fairly quickly, and working in a school library gives you access to lots of books right at your fingertips. You don't have to wait for your pay check to come in so you can go book shopping. There's no having to trudge into town to their library (although I do make use of my local library as well as the school one). I'll be shelving, or weeding and I'll come across something and think, "hmm...I should probably have read that". Because I have very little else, other than work, going on at the minute, a lot of my spare time is spend reading. I'll be grateful for it whilst it lasts.

Spoilers here! Spoilers everywhere! A good one in time for Halloween though...

So onto this review! This is another book I managed to finish whilst travelling over half term. My only past experience with Susan Hill was in high school. I had to read 'Strange Meeting' for AS Level English Literature. Not being a fan of the war genre, I was slightly put off, but did enjoy the language and style if I remember correctly (I can't believe that was about five years ago!). I decided to read The Woman in Black, as it was rather short - perfect for packing into my hand luggage for the plane, and yes...I watched the film adaptation they released fairly recently. *Hides head in shame* I must read books before watching the films!

Before I go on I'll admit...I am easily scared. And I think maybe your enjoyment of the book may vary depending on how easily creeped out you are. It's a great ghost story, in my opinion. She builds suspense very well and just at the end, when you think all is well, and Arthur is free from the torment of the Woman in Black - BAM. It's that chilling sense of heart-stopping fear. She's back, she was never finished with him. He pays his price and the story ends on an eerie note of awful realisation. It gives you shudders. The house, to which Arthur Kipps is sent to handle the affairs of the sole inhabitant who died there, is brilliantly portrayed. Having the location of the haunting across the marshes, cut off by the tide for much of the time gives us the real sense of being trapped, as Arthur is, in the situation. You can't escape it, because he can't.

I gave it four out of five stars on Goodreads. But why not give it five stars, is it did it's job - being a scary story - so brilliantly. Truth be told, I found Arthur Kipp, the protagonist, ever so slightly...not unbelievable...just a little frustrating at times. But perhaps that just shows how well Hill draws you into the story. I didn't want him to go back to Eel Marsh House after he had his first horrendous experience. No-one would. But he does. I suppose it was necessary for the plot to continue. It would have been very boring had he gone home and the story finish there. But his feelings about the house seem to be all over the place. First he's determined to go back, then he resolves never to go again, then he feels better when he has a dog for company...it's all a bit wishy washy. Make up your mind man!

Apart from this, I really enjoyed The Woman in Black. I don't think I'd read it alone at night, by candle light, but I was very happy reading it on a busy plane to distract me from the fact I was thousands of miles in the air (I'm not the biggest fan of flying). It kept my mind occupied, and now when I turn the light off to go to bed at night, I occasionally take a double glance at the shadows in my room, to make sure none of them are old woman shaped!

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment