Friday 25 October 2013

Hot off the Shelf: What I’m reading - 'Year of the Flood' Atwood, Margaret

No Spoilers

Wow.

But first, a short explanation.

I really like Margaret Atwood. I'm not sure, if a person already really likes an author, that that means they'll like everything ever written by them. But so far, I've loved all the MA books I've managed to read. Which is like...three. I'm working on this.

'Year of the Flood' is sort of a second book in sort of a trilogy. I say 'sort of', because you can read the books in the trilogy as stand alone books and they will still make sense and be lovely and make your emotions all zingy. They run kind of parallel to each other...you don't need to know one story to understand the other.
However.
The three books all feature overlapping characters, plots and time frames. So you could read them as a series and have a more magnificent overview of the whole situation that's going on in the 'trilogy'. Reading the first could enrich your reading of the second, lets say.
Here's the 'order' of the 'series' Maddadam Trilogy:

Oryx and Crake
The Year of the Flood
Maddadam

It's clever. And that's why I love it. As well as this it's one of those dystopian-y type books I do so love. A man-made 'flood' has swept the earth (for the details, read Oryx and Crake), and there's a few survivors. A good dose of female heroes, weird new/old religions and gene splicing all combine for a fabulous book that you need to read. Right now. There's themes that make you think. It maintains it's human elements whilst being unmistakably sci-fi. What I love so much about it is that IT COULD HAPPEN. I swear she's some kind of prophet. She can see the future! (On a serious note, I seriously hope note...her futures are never very optimistic).

I'll leave you with that. I realise it's not very detailed, but I actually finished the book a week-ish ago, I just haven't been able to blog about it yet because of my travels. I can't wait to read Maddadam. I may ask for it for Christmas. However my soul might collapse if I have to wait that long.

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment